The adjustment process splits into 3 following steps:
- Initialise: start the reverse/adjust process from the leave request
- Adjust: Select one or more time records to reverse or adjust
- Review: Carefully review the summary changes prior to submitting the change
At any point during the adjust and preview stage you can return to the leave request and no action is performed; only once the "Submit Changed" button is checked on the review is the adjustment process actually performed on the leave request. Note: Changes made cannot be reverted so the preview step is very important.
To enable the reverse / adjust functionality, open the leave wizard and navigate to the 3rd Step "Advanced" and click on the checkbox for "Enable Processed Leave Request Reversal / Adjust". Be sure to continue through each step by clicking "next" and click Finish on the Confirmation step to save the updated setting.
Step 1: Initialise
To start the process, navigate to the leave request record for adjustment and click the "Reverse / Adjust" button. If you do not see the button check the status of leave request status is processed and that you have enabled the feature (see configure step above).
Step 2: Adjust
The adjustment form displays primary information about the leave request, and displays the time records linked to the leave request that will form the basis of the reversal adjustment. The form comprises of 4 main parts:
- Primary Info:
- Leave Request Details (ID, Employee, Leave Type, Start and End Date, Required Hours)
- Summary Table - displays a summary of the changes that will be made
- Total Lines / Selected Lines based on the selected lines in the Time Update Sublist
- Update Defaults:
- Adjustment Type: Select the type of adjustment you wish to make (By Time Reversal / By Leave History)
- Reverse Only if checked existing time records will not be updated or deleted (By Time Reversal Only)
- Change Reason: The reason for the change which will be recorded as a user notes on the leave request (mandatory)
- Time Updates: A sublist of the time associated to the leave request
- All Time: A sublist of all time associated to the leave request
- Leave History: A sublist of adjustment leave history records linked to the leave request (By Leave History only)
The example screenshot below displays the adjust step for a 2 week leave request; the first week 2/1/2018 - 5/1/2018 has already been included on a pay run (This is denoted in the status/action column with a yellow padlock icon, placing the cursor over the icon displays the pay run title, or alternatively you can switch to the All Time tab where you can see more of the details.
To enter the adjustment complete the following information:
- Select the adjustment type; this defaults to By Time Reversal but for a leave request of standard leave types (Annual Leave, Personal Carers Leave, Long Service Leave, Time In Lieu) you can also select By Leave History
- For By Time Reversal optionally select Reverse Only (this ensures existing time records that have not been processed are not deleted or updated)
- Enter the change reason for example: Employee returned to work early.
- Then Select one or more time records to reverse or adjust
Selecting Time To Reverse Or Adjust
Each line in the Time Updates sublist represents a time record linked to the leave request that is available for adjustment. By clicking the checkbox against a line its selected for reversal and the hours on the time record default into the hours to reverse, you may then optionally make the following changes:
- Update the hours to reverse (as an example the employee may have ended up taking a part day)
- Adjust: Allows an alternative leave type and adjustment hours to be selected
Example of time selection by Time Reversal
Example of time selection by Leave History
The columns displayed in the Time Updates list are as follows:
- Select: Only those lines checked will be updated
- Date: The date of the time record
- Hours: The current hours on the time record
- Leave Type: The leave type on the time record
- Hours To Reverse: The number of original hours to reverse (this defaults to the current hours)
- Adjust: Check to make an adjustment for that day to a different leave type.
- Adjust Leave Type: The adjustment leave type
- Adj.Hours: the adjustment hours to use for the adjustment leave type.
- Status / Action: Updates automatically to reflect the action that will be performed based on the line information
Note: When adjusting / reversing by leave history the status/action column displays a slightly different action denoting a credit for reversal hours, or a debit for adjustment hours.
Adjustment By Time Reversal
Adjusting a leave request by time reversal will create, edit or delete time records to reflect the adjustment that needs to be made based on the preferences. The default behaviour is to only reverse a time record if that time record has been processed on a payrun, for any that are not they will be edited or deleted.
Checking "Reverse only" changes the default behaviour of changes made to time that has not yet been linked to a payrun. When unchecked the system will update or delete the existing record. The following table outlines the change.
|Action||Reverse Only Unchecked||Reverse Only Checked|
|Reverse Hours||Delete Time Record||Create A Reversal Time Record of Negative Reversal Hours|
|Reverse & Adjust||Update Time Record||Create A Reversal Time Record of Negative Reversal Hours, Create Time Record For Adjustment Leave Type|
To illustrate the difference; compare the two screenshots below and the status / action column.
|Reverse Only (Unchecked)||Reverse Only (Checked)|
The result on the employee's payslip will be the same, a line of annual leave for -68.4 hours. However the time linked to the payrun will be different:
- Reverse Only Unchecked: will have 5 time records (4 x 7.6 for the 2/1 - 5/1)
- Reverse Only Checked: will have 14 time records (9 x -7.6, and 5 x 7.6 for the 8/1 - 12/1)
Adjustment By Leave History
For standard leave types the adjustment / reversal can be applied by creating one or more leave history records; no changes are made to existing time records for the leave request. This approach is useful for retrospective corrections, that would appear on the payslip if additional time records have been created.
When using this approach:
- Hours to Reverse will result in a credit to the employees leave balance
- Hours to Adjust will result in a debit to the employees leave balance
Note: The Employees leave balance does not update automatically after the adjustment / reversal completes; you must go the employee record and manually update the employees balance for the balance change to take effect.
Step 3: Review
The Review step displays the summary of actions that will occur upon clicking "Submit Changes". The two screenshots below illustrate the differences between the two adjustment types.
When using "Adjust by Time" the page displays the individual time record actions that will be performed. In this example you can see the creation of reversal time records for the processed 4 days and the deletion of the remaining 5 days.
For the "Adjust By Leave History" the adjustments are grouped by leave type and reversal or adjustment.
If upon review you identify a change needs to be made click on the Back button. This will return you to the adjustment step with the form data pre-populated, simply make the adjustment and continue with the process. Otherwise click Submit Changes and click OK on the confirmation alert, this will submit the changes.
On submission of the adjustment / reversal the following actions are performed:
- user notes are created on the leave request to record the data and change
- for adjustment by time: - time records are created, updated, or deleted
- for adjustment by leave history: - leave history records are created
- update leave request to reflect changes of start date / end date, required hours and the update of the leave type to match the majority duration.
Once the process has completed the page will redirect back to the leave request and a confirmation message will be displayed.
Creating User Notes
As with other payroll processes a user note is created for audit purposes, that provides information above the change of data that is recorded in system notes. The information can be used retrospectively to understand the interpretation or action.
Create / Update / Delete Time Record
Note: When a new time record is created its copied from the source time record, and then the changes made. Any newly created records will have the following fields set:
|hours||hours||the duration in hours|
|time reversal||custcol_pr_reversal_time||set to checked for added records|
set to one of:
Reversal of Leave
Reversal of Processed Leave
Adjustment of Leave
Adjustment of Processed Leave
|leave type||custcol_pr_pcst||(set for adjustment only)|
Update Leave Request
The following fields are updated on the leave request based on the actions performed:
|Status||custrecord_pr_lr_status||set to Reversed if the sum of required hours is 0|
|Start Date||custrecord_pr_lr_start||set to new Start Date if changed|
|End Date||custrecord_pr_lr_end||set to new End Date if changed|
|Leave Type||custrecord_pr_lr_leave_type||set to the leave type with the largest sum of hours|
|Required Hours||custrecord_pr_lr_requiredhours||set to the new total required hours after adjustment|
Updating The Leave Request (Time)
When the reversal has completed the newly created "reversal" time will be visible in the time tab on the leave request.
Updating the Leave Request (Leave History)
When the reversal has completed the newly created leave history records will display in a new tab on the leave request.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure errors do not occur during the reversal process; it is possible that configuration / changes within the general NetSuite setup could cause problems when creating / updated time records. Two potential errors can occur:
- Adjustment Cancelled - The underlying data has changed since submitting the adjustment.
- Submit Error - On submit on the preview an error occurs applying the actions to create / edit / delete the time or leave history records.
Error: Adjustment Cancelled
If the source data changes after initialising the adjustment, the system will display an error similar to the line below. In this example the Time Id 19398 has changed. To resolve the issue return to the leave request and initialise the process again.
Updating Employees Available Balance
If the reversal / adjustment is being made by leave history you must manually update the employee leave balance for the change to take effect. On successful process of the reversal the following confirmation message will be displayed providing instruction:
Processing Reversed Time Entries In Payrun
If you have adjusted a leave request by time, the change won't be reflected in the employee's balance until the time has been included on a standard or adjustment payrun. Initiate the pay run as normal ensuring you do not check "skip pay components", and proceed.
At enter time you will see that the negative time will increase the base salary line. In the example below you can see that the negative time of 30.4 has increased the Normal Time line from 38 hours to 68.4.
Incompatibility with Skip Pay Components
Negative time can only be included on a pay run where there is a salary line to normalise. This means negative time cannot be processed where skip pay components is set.
Reviewing the payslip details you can see the negative reversal line, which can also be seen on the PDF payslip along with the detail if you are using a payslip template that displays the leave request summary.
Finally reviewing the leave history generate during the leave accrual step, you can see a positive annual leave accrual of 30.4 hours that increases the employees available balance
Please note these examples are given to assist in understanding the adjustment / reversal process and are not provided as guidance on statutory rules.
1. Employee Did Not Take Leave (Reversal)
In this example the employee took a day off in a previous month, but the employee has now informed you they did not take the planned leave as their plans changed. Select the time record representing the day, it will default to reverse the 7.6 hours creating a negative time bill that will be included in the following payrun.
2. Employee Only Took Part Of Day
Employee has 1 day of processed leave, but on returning to work notifies the payroll officer that they were called back to the office part way through the day and of their required 7.6 hours they worked 4 hours. Select the time record to update and edit the hours to reverse to reverse the difference between their normal working hours 7.6 and the hours they worked 4 = 3.6.
2. Employee Returns To Work Early (Shorten Leave Request)
Employee booked 14 days leave; but have notified the office they will be returning 2 days early. Select the last two days of the holiday which will be set to delete. This action will also update the leave request changing the end date (which will reflect in calendars) and reducing the required hours.
3. Employee Needs to Change Leave Type For Full Leave Period
Employee booked Annual Leave for 3 days, but on returning from leave informed payroll officer that the time was spent caring for a sick relative. Select each line to select for reversal, then on the first line select adjust and the Personal / Carers Leave Paid type. The system will ask if you would like to apply this to every selected line.
4. Employee Needs to Change Leave Type For Part Day
Employee booked a days annual leave, mid way through the day they were called to pickup their child from school as they were unwell. As a result the leave request needs to be changed to 4 hours of Annual Leave, and 3.6 hours of Personal Carer's Leave Paid.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why can't I add additional dates to the processed leave request ?
A: The adjustment / reversal functionality is only designed to adjust an existing request and shorten the period taken. If you wish to add hours on additional dates you must create a new leave request.
Q: Does the system check leave balances for additional hours for leave adjustments?
A: No the adjustment / reversal process is for payroll administrators only and its assumed that the payroll administrator will have verified this independently.
Q: Does the adjustment / reversal process take into account Statutory Holidays?
Q: Does the change / reversal process inform the employee or leave approver ?
A: No the process does not generate any emails