On 6 October 2020 as part of the 2020–21 Budget, the government announced a new incentive for businesses to employ additional young job seekers called the JobMaker Hiring Credit. The JobMaker Hiring Credit will be administered by the ATO.
Eligible employers will have access to a JobMaker Hiring Credit for each new job they create over the 12 months from 7 October 2020, for which they hire an eligible employee, for a maximum claim period of 12 months from their employment start date.
Employers will register with us and make claims quarterly, with claims commencing in February 2021.
This measure is subject to the passage of legislation.
The JobMaker Hiring Credit will be:
- $200 per week for each eligible employee aged 16 to 29
- $100 per week for each eligible employee aged 30 to 35.
An employer cannot claim JobKeeper and JobMaker Hiring Credit at the same time.
To be eligible, employers must:
- hold an Australian Business number (ABN)
- be up-to-date with their tax lodgement obligations
- be registered for Pay As You Go (PAYG) withholding
- be reporting through Single touch payroll (STP).
Eligible employees must have worked an average of at least 20 hours per week over the quarter for the employer to qualify for the payment. Employees that start and/or stop employment during a quarter must meet a similar test based on the length of time in employment.
For the employer to be eligible, new employees must:
- be aged 16 to 35 years
- be in receipt of income support payments (such as JobSeeker Payment, Youth Allowance (Other), or Parenting Payment) for at least one of the three months before they were hired.
Further eligibility conditions will apply to employers based on the employer's headcount and payroll on 30 September 2020. These conditions ensure that employers claim credits for additional jobs created rather than for replacing existing employees.
The JobMaker Hiring Credit will be reported as an STP Other Allowance (in a similar way to the Job Keeper Scheme). Reporting for the first period (7th Oct 2020 - 6th January 2021) will open on the 1st of February 2021 and will continue through until the 30th of April.
At this stage we do not have any updates for customers as to how this will work; and the development team will work to support the reporting requirement ready for the 1st of February date. This page will be updated with further guidance nearer the time.